Monday, May 22, 2006

Niki de St. Phalle


WOW there is so much to say about her...but for me, I grew up looking at a print of Niki de St. Phalle's that was a drawing of two people walking on the beach together and it said "It was nice walking on the beach with you" and another print by the famous Jean Tinguely (her life-long friend, collaborator & 2nd husband) that had all sorts of things repeat screened on the canvas including a toothbrush in super muted greens & reds. I was totally fascinated by both pieces especially Niki de St. Phalle's because the woman was so big and hulky with huge breasts and her body was like pink, pink, pink. Well, here I am trying to tell you how rad she is and there is just way too much to say because her career spanned decades and I will just spin out on the details. Just check out the piece above which can be found in the "Giardino dei Tarocchi" located in Tuscany. The garden is all sculptures inspired by the Tarot. If you have ever been to Paris or are planning a trip don't miss cruising over to the Pompidou in Les Halles to see Niki & Jean Tinguely's outrageous "Fontaine Stravinsky" with it's spinning & water spewing snakes, mouths, mermaids & hats. Oh man, I am gonna shut up now...I hope you dig her. Kisses and Happy Monday.
Nike de St. Phalle Wikipidia style

1 comment:

clare said...

ohhh she is rad!!! i agree. are you inside my head looking at my dreams, ITBK?