Friday, July 07, 2006

Network



Me 'n my man took one of our precious nights out and went to see "The Devil Wears Prada" and I probably shouldn't have expected much...but since I had heard such great things I thought we would go and have some movie fun. Well Meryl Streep is amazing but we already know that about her, we expect it and you do get it but the rest of the movie: ugh?! Anyways, it got me to thinking about movies that are just f$&3ing great...Lots of movies popped into my head but the frontrunner was Network, probably cuz Faye Dunaway plays a tough broad (saying she is absolutely gorgeous is kinda obvious) and she and William Holden have one of the best sex scenes ever to grace the screen. If you haven't already seen it, it's about a failing network, UBS, and you get to see the unraveling of main news anchor Howard Beale who utters that oh-so-famous line: "So I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window, open it and stick your head out and yell, 'I'm as mad as hell and i'm not going to take this anymore!' " The most awesome and frightening thing is that all the most over-the-top & outlandish parts of this outrageous satire (1976) have come true when you turn on the TV in 2006! So don't bother spending $10 on seeing some crappy new movie, check out some unbelievable screenwriting, cinematography, wardrobe, make-up, set design, acting and directing (thanks to Sidney Lumet) cuz you know, folks, it takes a village to raise a film...not just an army of hacks and focus groups.

buy it here

No comments: