Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Please Kill Me


It's been awhile since I decided to write a post on "Please Kill Me". I kept waffling mostly cuz I have so much to say + it's been awhile since I read the book and I have long since lent out at least 5 copies so I felt kinda schmucky buying yet ANOTHER copy. Well here we are today and WOW Syd Barrett is gone, and man, he meets the definition of Punk...he was one of the original "punks!" Syd spiked his hair before ANYONE ---that's where Sid Vicious got his signature spikey hair and the name Sid, he was totally inspired by Syd Barrett. The day Syd died I was kayaking through a beaver bog checking out turtles, newts, frogs, leeches, snakes & loads of beautiful flora and fauna...so to Syd I say thanks for being my musical flora & fauna. "I tattooed my brain all the way/Wouldn't you miss me?/Wouldn't you miss me at all?" Now for a kickass book:

Please Kill Me is an oral biography of Punk Rock...and for those of you who have already read it, PLEASE comment!!
Don't you want to know how Nico gave Iggy the clap--well, maybe not, but you might want to know how on earth Andy Warhol and the Velvets came together & how The Doors ripped them off right down to those oh-so-famous leather pants. What about Richard Hell's ripped up shirt that had a bull's eye on it with the words "PLEASE KILL ME." But back to Iggy--he's the real hero of this book, a punk before there was a word for 'em. He just didn't give a damn what anybody thought & he's got such a killer sense of humor: I mean, "T[wat] V[ibe] Eye" is a song about the look sixteen year-old Ann Arbor girls used to give him!!! The Ramones kicked some real NYC ass...they really were as scary as they looked...except for sweet, sweet Joey. Bebe Buell dishes about all of her radical escapades & loves. It's the history of Johnny Thunders and the Dolls, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers & just wonderful, sad and messed up Johnny Thunders.
**I obviously haven't mentioned all the other amazing musicians who show up in this tale: Television, Blondie, the Dead Boys, etc.**

2 comments:

beth said...

I read it a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it neglected the L.A scene, but it was a great look back at NYC (and Michigan too). I think I prefer oral histories about music because often the author's own writing gets in the way--I guess that happens with any subject, but with music in particular it seems writers are either too self-consciously hip or too pedantic or both....

sufferwords said...

Oh the innocence of time before the internet, cell phones, MTV. This could not happen again in an English speaking world. Perhaps in Africa or Asia but sadly we will only have retro. The poor kids of today. Prefaded jeans, deseigner hair gel, grandmas with 'punk' colored hair...Gabba Gabba Hey

Sufferwords