Monday, October 30, 2006

The New York Review of Books


I basically married into The New York Review of Books: it's a staple at the Moore Gerety household...and sometimes one might think that a certain member of the MG family actually read a 1000 page book on British politics of the 17th century only to find out that what was actually read was a recent review in the NYR. Well, now after 7 years I am an addict--swiping them from the mailman before my husband sees them, reading some of the ridiculous personals late night & begging my friends to please just get into it cuz they might discover a new poet or a super old one, find out all about Neolithic cave paintings, get the real dish on climate change, the scary stuff NOBODY else will tell you! Most other publications seems biased or dumbed down but to me, when I read the New York Review I know I am reading the truth and it's about as unbiased as a journalist can ever be---of course that's not true 100% of the time but so far for me it's been a path to discovery of things that I might never have known about. SO I just want you to know how much I heart the New York Review and if you wanna know what's REALLY going on in the world....get it and you might fall in love too.

PS here is a list of some of their fab contributers: Luc Sante (great article he wrote on NYC), John Ashbery, Diane Johnson, Charles Simic, Tony Judt(he is AWESOME), Mark Danner, Gary Wills, Alison Lurie & Frank Rich...oh the list goes on and on.

1 comment:

leigh said...

Where do you find the time? Even just to show me
all these things only you could piece together? huh?
and it was soooo fair of you not to even give out the
initials of who may or may not have read the whole
book or just the review hmmmmmmm? who could
it be??????