Monday, January 15, 2007

Meat Puppets II



You know there is music and then there are sounds that just invade into your being and become part of you....(like The Birthday Party & Minutemen) and WOW, the Meat Puppets invaded! All of us punk rockers were raised on Neil, the Stones & Led Zeppelin but at the time we were over it...turning our backs for what we thought was louder, meaner, angrier & less melodic music like The Damned, The Clash, Wire, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, The Heartbreakers (Johnny Thunders) & the Dead Boys (we thought wrong, HA!). The Meat Puppets were the perfect amount of angst, pain, melody and love for any teenage boy or girl....and GOSH, now that I have entered into my fourth decade--OUCH!--I still wanna cry when I listen to Curt Kirkwood's twisted guitar strings and emotial pleas . I think it's so awesome that Nirvana covered the Meat Puppets & at the time I figured it was an entire new generation of fans for them but I sure hope people listen to the record, THE ENTIRE RECORD, not just those two songs. It's BEAUTIFUL; a real heartbreaker. Usually what happens to us is my husband puts Meat Puppets II on in the car and about 2 months will go past before we are like, "OK it's time to maybe listen to something else, right?" I seriously believe in this record, in its truth & beauty (have I mentioned that?!). That they really went for it...this kind of record is one of those rare classics that could only happen in a moment during a magical rip in time when beauty oozes out into sound.

NO vinyl link MAKES ME SAD! I tried...I found one on Gemm for $60 and that is wacko but you can check out our new ITBK shop for the CD link

No comments: