Friday, October 30, 2009

Native Funk and Flash

























**Click on any of the pictures for a supersize version**

Happy October 30th everyone! I am reposting a blog entry that is almost 3 years old.
Native Funk & Flash has been and always will be an incredible source of inspiration for me, my darling friends (especially Cal & Siri) & countless other people in the world of makers. A few days ago I received a comment from the author, Alexandra Hart, and then a beautiful letter. This letter has moved me as she was as lovely as her creations (The denim shirt she embroidered for her husband was the inspiration for my first real embroidery project a denim shirt for my husband, Finn)
I wanted you to all know that she has books available for purchase and that she really oughtta know how important the Native Funk & Flash book is to all of us so please email me pictures, links and your thoughts on how that book changed your life or just leave her a comment below. In her letter she told me that her and a friend were co-creators in the amazing and totally important pattern company Folkwear another mind blower. I plan on posting some more pictures in the coming days...


ORIGINAL POST FROM 2/15/07

I know I know I haven't been very bloggy lateley I have been feeling Blogathetic....and really wanting to work with my hands (sewing, embroidery, drawing, knitting, crocheting, etc.) We could blame this all on Cal cuz I took her Patternmaking class and then her embroidery class and now all I want to do is find the time to make things...PLUS my mom finally gave up her much-coveted copy of "Native Funk and Flash," the actual copy I grew up with. She said she and my dad got it a the craft museum when they went and saw the show back in 1974. I scanned a bunch of the pages today so you could get a look at how amazing and varied the work is inside the book...and I figure now I won't have to talk you into making the purchase cuz once you see the french knot penises how could YOU NOT want this book?

p.s. if you want I can scan more images just tell me!


25 comments:

clare cupcake said...

my mind is truly blown by that book. whoa. whoa. whoa.

Dave said...

looks like you sold it eh? that's an awesome book. someone borrowed my mom's copy in high school and never gave it back(!). some of her work is featured in it. her name at the time was dorothy smaller (then dorothy merson). so cool that you scanned some pages. thanks!

Monica Yocom said...

Great Blog, I just looked you up because I just bought this book at a garage sale. I am an Artist and am so thrilled!!! This is an incredible book!

Anonymous said...

I have had my copy of this wonderful book since 1974. I turned 18 years old in 1968, so I got to live through all of this - in Southern California. So glad to see a new generation enjoying and appreciating all of this wonderful art. Someday I will pass my copy along to my daughters - not yet though! I did keep one tiny little embroidered dress from 1969, though, and my daughter wears it now. Maybe I'll take a photo and post it. Thanks so much for posting these photos.

Anonymous said...

Dave, I looked in my copy of the book for your mother's work. There is a list of all the artists at the end of the book and their is no Dorothy Smaller or Dorothy Merson listed. In fact, there is only one Dorothy - Dorothy Flash. Her work is on page 53, and is a "Lumpy Cloak" that is stitched, sewn and stuffed. It is amazing. I'll bet Dorothy Flash is your mom - beautiful work and a great name!

Dave MH said...

ah, you're right! i looked through her CV and it does say she's credited as "Dorothy Flash". :)

Kelly Fletcher said...

What a fantastic book. Two years on a shirt to while away a prison sentence... incredible.

Alexandra Jacopetti said...

Imagine my surprise when I googled the name of the book I wrote "Native Funk & Flash" and got a blog of the same name and yours! There is also a used clothing store with a focus on the 70's in my home town called FUNK & FLASH. Hmmm.

Turns out I just located a couple of boxes of books that were tucked away -- brand new! I notice that one was for sale on Amazon or one of the other spots in "Near Collector's condition" for $150. I'd be happy to sell some of these newly surfaced perfect condition NATIVE FUNK & FLASH books with the author's (my) signature/autograph for $60. Anybody interested?

And Monica, your mom must be Dorothy Flash!
I remember her well. As for it being borrowed and not returned -- our local library had to buy copy after copy because they wouldn't get returned...

Alexandra Jacopetti said...

Oops, sorry, I got names mixed. Meant DAVE, not Monica.

Dave MH said...

hi alexandra,

i would love a signed copy. could you please send an email with details to dave[at]davemh[dot]com?

thanks so much!
dave

IF THE BIRDS KNEW said...

HI alexandra,
amylou here...first let me say how amazing and influential Native Funk and Flash has been for me and most of my friends...so THANKS!!! If you would like I could post your information in an actual blog post or I could email it out to those who are interested... whatever you would like? Please let me know and thanks so much for posting...it has inspired me to continue blogging.
please email me at amyloustein@gmail.com

Best Amy

warm jet said...

amy?????
mail me.
s

haha said...

Nice BLOG.................................................

arlee said...

would dearly love to know where Alexandra's books are available!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://pretty.reira.ru/free-russian-girls-dubai.html]free russian girls dubai[/url] [url=http://pretty.reira.ru/russian-girls-living-in-germany.html]russian girls living in germany[/url]

Shanti Johnson said...

Alexandra I would love a signed copy! A dream come true!
Please email me at: shantij@ymail.com

Shanti Johnson said...

Alexandra I would love a signed copy! A dream come true!
Please email me at: shantij@ymail.com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carrot said...

AMAZING! I just purchased this and I am absolutely pleased!

Jenny said...

not for publication - just a note to say hi. my auntie jody pointed me to this blog and it is AMAZING. It has been many years since I rode with you in your grandma's cadillac with the 8-track tape stuck inside. We never really knew each other, but I always thought you were enigmatic and vivacious :-)

- jenny (s)w.

Dave MH said...

Got my mint condition signed copy from Alexandra! Thank you to If The Birds Knew and for all the emails pointing me back to this post to see that Alexandra had commented. :)

Dave MH said...

I've got a mint condition replacement copy now, signed by Alexandra. Thanks ITBK (and anyone who emailed me about this)!

Susan said...

I just reconnected with an old friend on FB who traced the 'joint in the ashtray' embroidery for me back in '76 (a project that I started and sadly never finished - but I still have the shirt!) I sent him a scanned copy of his drawing and he had no recollection of it (not a surprise!) so I googled 'Native Funk & Flash' and found the original pic right here!! Amazing!!! I don't have the book anymore cause it was my older sister's, but man, was I thrilled to see all those beautiful designs. I never forgot them! Thanks so much for posting!

Alexandra Hart said...

Just got the new Funk & Flash comments on this blog. Did y'all know I put out a new, third edition of the book this summer and you can check it out at . It's both eBook and print on demand, available at Amazon or Barnes & Noble. It's also still possible to get an original (signed) version for a few extra bucks. BTW, Dorothy Flash never gave me any other name! And, if any of you want to connect, you can do it thru the website comments and I'll write you back via email. Oh, and the joint in the ashtray...looks like her name got left out of the index (bad!) and I've forgotten it. But, somebody told me it was from a record cover -- unless that was the tree on the opposite page. Both same artist. Memory does tend to flag in the details after 40 years... Thanks to all you fans! --Alexandra Jacopetti Hart